- Sweep or vacuum any loose pellets in the truck/container.
- Carefully inspect empty trailers for damaged interior walls or defective floors that can tear bags. Consider refusing to use such containers or cover problem areas with corrugated liner board.
- Block and brace outbound loads to avoid broken bags in transit.
- Inspect truck and rail shipments containing palletized bags of pellets and document the condition of bags and pallets received. If the shipment is significantly damaged, notify the transporter and manufacturer. Consider refusing to accept delivery.
Hopper Cars and Trucks – Repairs
- Work in a paved area to facilitate containment and cleanup.
- Properly contain, handle or recycle small quantities of residual pellets. If larger quantities are involved, contact the shipper.
- Contact the shipper for assistance/advice if a derailment or highway accident results in a spill of resin pellets.
» PDF Version: Operation Clean Sweep Program Manual
Procedures | Pellet Transport and Packaging | Spills and Packaging | Other Transport Vehicle Concerns | Marine Transport | Waste Recycling and Disposal | Plastic Dust to Powder